Wednesday, March 23, 2016

That My Grandfather’s Picture

That My Grandfather’s Picture

Yes! Another holiday is in the corner and our family as usual is very busy preparing for Christmas again.
Of the many things I love about the Christmas season, one that is so unique to our family is listening to my father tell us stories about some many events; real and unreal in such a fashion that our imaginations about life as a whole always take a different dimension and for the best too.

On this fateful holiday season, in which I was neither the baby of the house nor any longer in high school, there was an iota of loneliness in the midst of the entire family members, I guess as a result of the fact that I was no longer the focal point of attentions; a reality only made so glaring by the decision to even have me to market with my older siblings and determine the kind of food, drinks and even gifts that we shall use to entertain our guest and the entire family! Only yesterday, I used to be at home, anxiously anticipating both the Christmas season family stories and later picking my gifts, and even eating and drinking without a clue as to how these all come about, and now I am to become an integral part of the preparation, how time flies indeed.

As a child, I used to think about my Grandfather’s picture as a larger than life possession based on the varieties of stories behind this physically old, black and white picture however framed with a very expensive and delicate mahogany wood polished into a combination of gold and ebony color by none other than my artist father. How he love that picture!
My Grandfather in that picture was seated in his traditional chieftaincy stool, made from mahogany wood, holding his Royal fan made from peacock feathers and a horse tail beautifully trimmed lying on his laps. He wore the royal garb called “Agbada” exquisitely designed with embroideries from the top of the neck region down to end of the garb. On both arms is the bangle made from lion teeth and his royal hat made from a combination of lion and leopard skin had the wing of an eagle attached to it too.

According to my father each object in my Grandfather’s attire has its significance and it is with utmost sense of pride, elation and belonging that we listen attentively to the narratives about his prowess as a community chief and leader of his people and family.

Today, I was alone in the living room and stirring at this larger than life picture conspicuously displayed in an area that is very difficult not to notice it! As I look at my Grandfather’s picture, trying to figure out what kind of personality he was and how come my father so adore him, so many things were running through my mind! In the first place this was a black and while, and old picture, that in contemporary society it is not even as beautiful as those in colors, nevertheless I too was drawn to the picture.
I see my grandfather looking back at me from where the picture hanged on the wall; his handsome and kind face, the royalty that surrounds him, the cap with the wing of an eagle, his leather shoe made from lion skin and even the arms bangles from lion teeth, and suddenly it seems the picture came I alive! I panic and ran away, but not before making up my mind to question my father about his adoration for my grandfather’s picture.

With a very unsatisfied reflection, I anxiously anticipate the evening session in this holiday season, where my father make out time to tell us many stories and of course inclusive is a narrative about my Grandfather’s picture, yes indeed, it is part of our tradition, and a rich one for that matter, because we too have become infected with the joyous anticipation of listening to a patriarch we have not physically met, but are very conscious of the many sacrifices he had made for our family.
And surely, evening came and behold after the dinner, we all sat around the fire to listen to my father narrate stories upon stories until it is time to retire for the day! All the electric lights are turned off and we kind of form a circle around the fire with my father seated on the stool that he inherited from his grandfather in addition to the picture!

When eventually my father started the part of the story that has to do with my grandfather, I have never before felt the kind of passion that emanated from his voice this evening, it was powerful, compassionate and excited too, sounding more like a melody to my ears. Or wait a minute; was this all about the way I feel or my imagination that is leading me to visualize my father’s narrative with such adverb?

This time around as if my father was able to get into my mind like a fortuneteller, he narrated the various significance of the various objects in my grandfather’s picture in a way that simply challenged us to be a good person, practice the golden rule of love thy neighbor as thyself, be generous, show empathy and do everything within your power to provide, defend and protect you family from harms way to the best of your ability.
Wao! All of a sudden it dawn on me that some how, my father who was born into a polygamous family with many siblings; my uncles and aunts must have been a special child to my grandfather, otherwise how come he inherited the stool and the picture?

My speculation was later confirmed this very night when for the first time and in all the years that I have been listening to the story, my dad when and brought the picture down from the wall and showed us the inscription at the back! My grandfather has instructed one of his brother prior to his death that if eventually he pass over and rest with his ancestors, the stool and picture should be given to any of his child that have lived the exemplary life of keeping the tenet of the Odeh’s family which was summarized in the golden rule philosophy!

Now I began to understand that somehow my father have been grooming all his children to appreciate the significance of my Grandfather’s picture, not just because it is that of our patriarch, nor is it because it was an icon possession, but principally as a way to challenge us to be good and who knows, if tomorrow comes one of us might have to continue the legacy.
That my Grandfather’s picture is an emblem that bind us together and help to constantly remind us of the legacy we need to protect one enshrined into our family tradition and practiced by all who bear the last name of the Odeh either directly or indirectly.

So long, Grandfather’s picture…..so long indeed! 


 Entry: Short stories series

No comments:

Post a Comment